Winter Fun with a Wee One
January 05, 2012
Family Activities and Things To Do During the Winter in Kelowna, British Columbia
My family and I spend almost as much time outdoors this time of year as we do during the summer in Kelowna ... just bundled up a little more of course. The appearance of snow seems to bring out the child in everyone, making you want to go flop down and make snow angels. Ok, well maybe that's just me. But I'm happy to report that our wee one definitely takes after me. She shrieks almost as loudly as I do when it starts to snow. Yes, the mere thought of the time it takes to get a 2 year old dressed in winter gear is daunting and exhausting, but so worth it when all said and done. To see her waddling through the white stuff with rosy cheeks and a big grin is priceless.
Nothing beats sledding down the local hills ("Again! Again!"), hanging out around a bonfire with hot chocolate ("Mmmmmm!") or even skating on frozen ponds or Kelowna public skating rinks ("Look at me!"). And of course the highlight for my family: heading up to an Okanagan ski hill for the ultimate winter experience, where the options for fun are endless! The days may be short this time of year, but can be jam-packed with enough fresh air to make anyone sleep like a baby. (And I mean anyone.)
Here's a few of my fave family friendly winter activities in Kelowna BC and around the Okanagan:
- When the white stuff is falling, scope out some local hills and do some sledding! (Elementary schools and parks can have some of the best sledding around)
- Check out the City of Kelowna's skating rinks, including the outdoor rink at Stuart Park! (Helmets are recommended and extra padding for falls is a good idea)
- The Okanagan also has many small lakes and ponds that freeze over this time of year, so ask around, grab your hockey gear and game on! Or maybe even try some ice fishing? (Always check the ice level – safety first!)
- Head up to one of the fabulous Okanagan ski hills and choose from a long list of fun stuff to do! (Tubing and sleigh rides are my top picks for the family).
FYI: The Best Western Kelowna Hotel offers some pretty sweet Ski/Snowboard Packages. Spend the day on the mountain at either Big White or Silver Star, and then head back to our Kelowna Hotel for more fun!
- Not a fan of the cold or snow? Take the whole family for some indoor fun at McCurdy Bowling Centre, Scandia Golf & Games or catch a movie at the Grand 10 Cinemas.
FYI: The Best Western Kelowna Hotel also offers other fantastic packages like our Family Fun Night Package. Stay and play indoors, however you want.
Enjoy everything that winter in Kelowna has to offer (including some excellent deals at Kelowna hotels) and stay nice and toasty warm throughout the season. And when in doubt, drink lots of hot chocolate – thats sure to cure the winter blues and the winter chills. Cheers!
Best Western PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Share This Post:
Other posts in this category:
Apr 26, 2013: Kelowna Hotels' Tips for Taking Pictures in the Okanagan