Okanagan Wine Tour Tips: Kelowna Hotel's Sip-Savvy Advice
May 13, 2013 | by Christina Van
Your Okanagan wine tour allows you to savour some of North America's best bottles as well some stunning views and delicious food.
(Photo by Tourism Kelowna)
You’ve been dreaming of an Okanagan wine tour trip for years, and now it’s almost here. Before you head out to some of the valley’s nearly 200 wineries from any one of the many Kelowna hotels, make the most of your wine trip with these tips.
Tips to make the most of your Okanagan wine trip:
- Time your winery visits. If you’re visiting in high season (July to October), tasting rooms start to cram by noon. Tours, especially the free ones, will book up early too. To get more time with your guide and tasting staff, visit wineries (particularly the most popular ones, such as Mission Hill and Quail’s Gate) early in the day. In Kelowna, hotels are never far from a winery, so you could hit up to three wineries before early afternoon and enjoy a late lunch and a bottle at your last stop.
- Eat, drink, and be merry. Okanagan wineries offer an impressive, divine variety of wines, but many are also known for what they serve to eat. Patios give you a chance to sit, take in the vineyard and lake views as well as pair your mouth-watering new find with local fare, from fruit and cheeses to meats and breads. Winery chefs take pride in preparing dishes made of 100-mile ingredients you might not otherwise get to try.
- But drink in moderation. Okanagan newcomers often get caught up in it all—the sun, shiraz, and one winery after another. If you want to last all day and night, and feel well enough to wake up and do it again tomorrow, winery staff suggest making use of those spit buckets. You’ll also want to bring your own water. A good rule of thumb is one glass of water for every five ounces of wine you drink.
- Take a wine tour. You and your friends can leave your car keys at your hotels in Kelowna and step inside the air-conditioned, educational and safe seats of a tour guide vehicle. This way, you won’t have to worry about a designated driver and you can all relax and enjoy your tastings. Plus, wine tour guides offer valuable local and historical information that will add to your touring experience. Most Kelowna hotels offer amazing Okanagan winery packages where you can enjoy a room, transportation and tastings for a discounted price.
- Drink outside the box. Think dessert wine isn’t for you? When you’re in BC wine country, you have access to special wines that aren’t always available on store shelves, and you’ve got free tasters at your hands. Go outside your comfort zone to try and buy wines you normally wouldn’t. You might find a new favourite!
Of course, there are other things to do in Kelowna than drink some of the world’s best wine. Check out our post on the Okanagan’s top five summer attractions.
When you’re booking your Okanagan wine tours and pet-friendly hotels, consider the BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites, offering wine tour packages as well as a mineral pool, hot tub, spa, easy shopping access and more. Book your room today!
Share This Post:
Other posts in this category: