More Fun With A Wee One: Fall Family Activities in the Okanagan
September 30, 2011
This past summer went surprisingly well for my family and I in completing our goal of maximum family fun. We spent 100% of our free time outdoors, constantly on the go, getting dirty or wet, and having a blast! Our wee one ventured into Okanagan Lake to look for Ogopogo, ran across the KVR trestles, poked the goats at various BC zoos and animal farms, jumped on the beds at some family-friendly hotels in BC and excitedly endured every other adventure my husband and I dragged her on. All with minimal tantrums or whining!
Now that the heat and thrill of summer has passed, my favorite season is now upon us: Autumn! Or is it Fall? Hmmm, well whatever you prefer to call it, it's just plain fabulous! There's nothing better than curling up in front of a fire, drinking tea and reading a good book. Or, with the wee ones: roasting marshmallows in an outdoor fire, drinking hot chocolate and jumping in piles of leaves. Fun! Ok, ok, so raking said leaves is not so much fun...but so worth it!
Family Fun continues into the fall:
- On those sunny days, go for a walk along the trails of the Mission Creek Greenway. Check out the amazing foliage colors, the spawning salmon and other wildlife. Just watch for bears – eek!
(Tip: Great place for a family photo shoot!)
- Visiting McMillan Farms in Kelowna BC and Davison Orchards in Vernon BC are the highlight of fall for families in the Okanagan. Pumpkins galore, hay rides, corn mazes, and more! *seasonal hours of operation*
(Tip: Pick out your pumpkins for Halloween!)
- Get creative at the Kelowna Art Gallery every Sunday. Different projects every week let you explore your inner artist. Or just make a mess, but who's judging?
(Tip: Go for the fall holiday-themed activities that the kids will love!)
- For those chilly or rainy days, splash and swim at H2O, the Kelowna Family Y or Parkinson Rec Centre.
(Tip: Register for swimming lessons for an ongoing fall family activity!)
- Book a night at the Best Western Kelowna Hotel! Trust me, you'll feel like you've snuck away from the world at our family-friendly hotel. Play in our indoor mineral pool then head back to your spacious guest room for a good old-fashioned pajama party with the fam! Order a pizza or some Room Service, rent an in-room Pay Per View Movie and get cozy. The only dilemma will be deciding to stay for one night or two.
(Tip: We won't get mad if a pillow fight breaks out!)
Stay active, keep warm and keep the fun going this fall. If you have any recommendations of your favorite fall activities for families in and around Kelowna, send me a tweet or visit our Facebook page!
Best Western PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Share This Post:
Other posts in this category:
Apr 26, 2013: Kelowna Hotels' Tips for Taking Pictures in the Okanagan