Canada Day in Kelowna: Hotel's Tips on Celebrating the Country’s Birthday in the Okanagan
June 20, 2013
If you and your family are going to be in Kelowna for Canada Day, you’re in luck. As Kelowna hotels will tell you, this Okanagan city pulls out all the stops to celebrate our nation’s birthday.
(More after the jump)
Canada Day festivities in Kelowna kick off with cake and Happy Birthday Canada, and end with fireworks over Okanagan Lake.
(Photo by Impact Kelowna)
The main attraction, and the one you won’t want to miss, is Celebrate Canada Day – Kelowna. Spread out through several city parks and our main event facility, Prospera Place (all close to many hotels in Kelowna), Celebrate Canada Day offers something for everyone from morning until the fireworks at dusk.
Here is what you need to know have a great Canada Day in Kelowna:
It’s free. All events are yours to enjoy at no cost, however, donations to support Celebrate Canada Day – Kelowna are accepted.
It’s for everyone. This event features activities for all ages, from toddlers to seniors. With more than 50 activities and performances geared toward multi-generational audiences, you’ll all be entertained.
It’s so easy. Just keep your vehicle parked at any one of our Kelowna hotels and either walk or take public transportation downtown. There, you’ll be able to walk from the main indoor events at Prospera Place to the stages at Waterfront Park.
Where you’ll find the big three indoor events: Prospera Place
- The opening ceremonies kick off with a slice of cake and a round of Happy Birthday Canada at approximately 1:30 p.m.
- The Kelowna Folkfest Celebrations offer live performances and food to give you a true taste of Canada.
- The Kelowna POPS Orchestra Canada Day Spectacular’s live orchestral concert features some of the Okanagan’s most talented musicians performing in a tribute to Canada.
Where you’ll find dozens of outdoor musical performances, food vendors and market displays: Waterfront Park
- Taste of Canada features food from more than 18 different vendors
- Made in Canada Marketplace gives you a chance to see and take home something from this artisan showcase of handmade, Canadian arts and crafts
- Canada Day Bazaar - a marketplace of unique items by local small businesses
- Evening Fireworks Display - Catch this amazing light show roughly at 10:30 pm
Outdoor musical performances:
- Parks Alive! Power Stage 12:30 - 9:30 pm
- Beach Stage (Tugboat Bay beach), 12:00 - 10:30 pm
- Kids' Stage (Pioneer Gardens), 11:00- 4:00 pm
- Youth Stage (Jim Stuart Park), 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
- NEW - Inspired Word Stage (Kerry Park), 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Century 21 "Kids Zone" - Drop-in activities for children, 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thinking about spending your family holiday in Kelowna? Check out our post on the top five reasons to spend your summer vacation in the Okanagan.
Are you looking for pet-friendly hotels in Kelowna for the Canada Day long weekend? Enjoy all Kelowna and the Okanagan have to offer from the centrally located BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites, offering an outdoor courtyard, mineral pool, hot tub, spa, pub and restaurant, and more. Book your room today!
Share This Post:
Other posts in this category:
Feb 18, 2014: Live from Kelowna Hotels, It’s Wednesday Night
Jan 29, 2014: Affordable Family Day Fun Near Kelowna Hotels