October 28, 2013 | by Christina Van
|The new wine trails app makes it easy to prepare for and remember your Kelowna wine tour experience.|
UPDATE July 14, 2014: Unfortunately this app is no longer available, but there are a couple other apps that may be very useful!
Planning on touring the seemingly endless trail of wineries in the Okanagan? The new Kelowna Wine Trails App lets you do all your research from home or your Kelowna hotel room the night before so you can make the most of your wine tour adventure.
Created by Tourism Kelowna, the Wine Trails App was designed to make it easy for you to organize your wine trip as well as mark the experience with a wine cellar in your phone and all the tools you need to share the day with friends.
You can start by creating your own trail or exploring one of five existing wine trails:
1) The Kelowna Fab Five, a ‘boutique-chic’ wine trail offering an intimate chance to meet proprietors and their fields close to the city center and even bicycling distance from some Kelowna hotels.
2) The Lakeshore Wine Route, a tour of wineries next to Lake Okanagan filled with pyramids, history, delectable fares and stunning views.
3) Lake Country’s Scenic Sip, a wine trail offering some of the valley’s finest views and wines at both new and old wineries.
4) Westside Wine Trail, a tour that offers a chance to discover both internationally award-winning and celebrated local wines as well as the families behind them.
5) Downtown Grapes & Grains, a chance to taste the products of BC’s first commercial winery as well as some of the city’s fine ales and spirits.
|With dozens of wineries to choose from, you can follow one or more of the existing trails or create your own wine trail for a tour that's just for you!|
Whether you follow one of the existing wine trails or you create your own, you’ll love these features about the Kelowna Wine Trails App:
Plan. Choose from one of the five wine trails or explore them on your app so you can create your own itinerary. Just click on each winery to find more information such as the website, address, opening hours, languages spoken, special events held at that winery and a short description about what makes that winery special.
Navigate. Under the title of each wine trail, you can choose to view the trail on a map with handy driving distances between stops and the ability to click on the trail or each winery for more details or directions. When you’re in the car, just follow the red-dotted trail to the next tasting room.
Share and Remember. The Kelowna Wine Trails App is great for getting you to the wineries from your Kelowna hotel, and it’s great for recording all the fun along the way. The app’s ‘My Wine Cellar’ function lets you keep track of your favourite bottles by scanning barcodes or taking snapshots of labels with your phone. When you add a new Kelowna wine, you can learn more about it as well as add tasting notes about ideas for pairings when you get back home. You can also add other details such as the type, the price range, the varietal, and you can even rate the bottle.
Click here to download the Kelowna Wine Trails App on the iTunes Store.
Thinking about a trip to BC this fall? Stay in the sunny Okanagan where there’s something for everyone. The centrally located BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites offers a mineral pool, hot tub, pet-friendly rooms and more. If you're a beginner wine drinker, take a look at our Okanagan wine tour tips.