Easy ways for YOU to make YOUR CONTRIBUTION to a HEALTHY PLANET
July 24, 2013 | by Christina Van
Garbage is placed in landfills creating unusable land and undesirable areas surrounding them. By recycling we can make sure our garbage ends up in the right place. This could reduce the size and the need for new landfills.
- Purchase items made from recycled or biodegradable material.
- Online billing eliminates the need for paper.
- Try to eliminate disposable cups and plates.
- Reuse what you can, like coffee grounds in your garden or flower bed. Compost is great for soil.
Pollution is destroying the very air we breathe and can be contributed to a wide variety of diseases. The ozone layer that protects us from the radiation of the sun is becoming weaker. Our oceans have been filled with toxins that have entered our food chain. We must reduce combustions, plastics and harmful chemicals.
- Use reusable water bottles.
- The automobile is the single greatest polluter, walk or bike to your destination.
- Shop at local businesses to minimize transportation pollution.
- Use environmentally friendly cleansers.
Water is essential for all life. There are people in the world that die every day due to lack of fresh water. We must conserve our water resources if we expect to survive. There are many ways to use our water more efficiently.
- Watering your lawn at night is more effective because there is less evaporation.
- Leaving grass clippings on your lawn holds in moisture so you don’t have to water as much.
- Collect rain water, plants prefer rain water to tap water.
- Turn the tap off when shaving or brushing your teeth.
- Use low flow shower heads and low flow toilets. A low flow toilet can be made by placing a 2 litre bottle in the tank.
- Make sure taps and toilets don’t have leaks.
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites has become a leader in the pursuit of innovative ways to make this generation the generation that saved our planet!
Share This Post:
Other posts in this category: